MED: Montessori Emphasis
(19 credits with transfer of credits; 31 credits without transfer of credits)
The Master of Education with Montessori Emphasis allows transfer of 12 credits toward your degree if you have a Montessori credential from a free-standing MACTE accredited institution or approved institution.
Montessori Emphasis Required Core Courses (16 credits)
- EDUC 600 Introduction to the Masterís Degree (1)
- EDUC 652 Multicultural Education (3)
- EDUC 701 Understanding Educational Research & Design (3)
- EDUC 712 Learning Styles and Learning Theories (3)
- EDUC 790 Issues of Peace, Justice and Educational Reform (3)
- EDUC 794 Culminating Experience (3)
*Note: ED 794 may only be taken in the last term of enrollment in the program with no more than one other required course in the same term. A graduation clearance form must be submitted two terms prior to registering for ED 794.
Montessori Emphasis Required Emphasis Courses** (12 credits)
- EDUC 764 Culturally Appropriate Practices & Montessori Methods (3)
- EDUC 765 Development of the Senses & Montessori Methods (3)
- EDUC 766 Montessori Language Arts (3)
- EDUC 767 Montessori Math Curriculum (3)
**12 credits can transfer towards your degree if you have a Montessori credential from MACTE accredited institution or approved institution.
In addition to the required courses listed above, candidates will select one elective course with their advisorís approval from a list including but not limited to the following courses.
Montessori Emphasis Elective Courses (3 credits)
- EDUC 722 Cognitive Development: Theory to Practice (3)
- EDUC 723 Language Development: Theory to Practice (3)
- EDUC 724 Social and emotional Development: Theory to Practice (3)
- EDUC 726 Childrenís Literature (3)
- EDUC 727 Supporting Struggling Readers/Writers (3)
- EDUC 728 Developing Fluent Readers and Writers (3)
- EDUC 733 Issues in Special Education (3)
- EDUC 734 Special Education Law (3)
- EDUC 740 Current Issues in Education (3)
- EDUC 761 Montessori Child Development (3)
- EDUC 762 Montessori Philosophy (3)
- EDUC 763 Montessori Observation and Management (3)
- EDUC 768 Place-Based Education (3)
- EDUC 769 Nurturing the Spirit of the Student (3)
- EDUC 770 Child Development in Cultural Context (3)
- EDUC 771 Advanced Leadership & Guidance in Education (3)
- EDUC 772 Advanced Leadership & Guidance in Early Childhood Ed (3)
For additional information, click here for: an application, Financial Aid, an advising sheet, or for the Program Advisor.