The Advantages of a Chaminade Environmental Studies Degree
Here is a list of the reasons why I believe Chaminade’s Environmental Studies Program is a really good one. It’s a program that has been designed to prepare students for a career, educate them about global and island environmental issues, and engage their passions to make a difference into the future:
- Integrates knowledge from many academic disciplines (biology, chemistry, physics, geology, sociology, psychology, business, ethics, law & policy, management and religion).
- Offers a course curriculum designed with the input of over forty environmental professionals currently working in Hawaii and on the mainland.
- Encourages a systems approach to environmental problem-solving, ensuring that students gain an understanding of all of the components of environmental issues.
- Explores and examines processes of understanding and changing human behavior towards a holistic engagement with the environment.
- Provides students with an in-depth understanding of the environmental ethics of Eastern, Western and Polynesian peoples and makes clear the importance of understanding value-systems in effecting successful environmental problem-solving.
- Teaches students essential environmental skills through hands-on experience working in the field on real environmental projects.
- Provides students with experience working in partnership with many public and private agencies and organizations.
- Encourages individual research and internships with environmental agencies, organizations and businesses.
- Capitalizes on Hawaii’s status as a premier place to learn about environmental issues.
- Offers small classes, encourages student-faculty interaction and is committed to personal advising and mentoring.
- Assists students in efforts to win environmental scholarships and internships.
- Prepares students to pursue graduate programs and diverse careers in the environmental industry.
Dr. Gail Grabowsky - Environmental Studies Program Director