Create a Search Alert in EBSCOhost and RSS feeds
You can create a Search Alert that emails a report of new information associated with your saved search. Once you have created a Search Alert, the process of running it at specific intervals and delivering the new results via email is handled automatically.
- From Search for > Databases by Title on the left sidebar.
- Select an EBSCOhost database. (See list of EBSCOhost databases that support Search Alerts.)
- Access from off campus requires a login and password.
Save Search as Alert
- In the EBSCOhost search screen, create a search that you would like to run periodically by entering search terms in the Find box. Click Search. You can also use a Saved Search.
- Click the Search History/Alerts tab.
- Click Save Searches/Alerts. If you have not already signed in to My EBSCOhost, you will be prompted to do so.
- In the Saved Search/Alert screen, click the Alert radio button under Save Search As.
- Enter a Name and Description for the Alert.
- Select how often the search will be run from the Frequency drop-down menu (e.g., daily, weekly, monthly).
- Select how long the search will run in the Run Alert for drop-down menu (up to one year).
- In the E-mail Properties section, indicate how you would like to be notified. Enter your email address.
- Title - you can optionally enter a title.
- E-mail [From] address - you can enter a different "From" e-mail address if desired.
- Select the E-mail format to use: Plain Text or HTML.
- To have your search string included with your results, mark the Query checkbox under Include in email. To include the alert frequency, mark the Frequency checkbox.
- When you have finished making changes, click Save.
Persistent Link to this article.
List of EBSCOhost databases that support Alerts:
- Academic Search Premier
- Business Source Premier
- Health Source:Nursing/Academic Edition
- MAS Ultra - School Edition
- MasterFILE Premier
- Military & Government Collection
- Professional Development Collection
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- Religion & Philosophy Collection
Persistent Link to this list.
Delete a Search Alert
- To delete a Search Alert, sign in to My EBSCOhost.
- Click on your folder.
- From the menu located on the left-hand column, click Search Alerts.
- Click the X to the right of the search you would like to delete.
Create RSS feeds for EBSCO Search Alerts
EBSCO has added RSS feed capabilites to its Search Alert feature.
- While in EBSCO, click on the New Features! link in red at the top of the page.A list of Ebsco's new features will appear.
- Scroll down to One Step Alerts and check the box This will enable RSS feeds for the current search session.You can now instigate a search.
- When the search results appear, an orange RSS icon will appear above the Find box, with "create alert for this search".
- Click on that link and the RSS feed will be enabled. More information and definition of RSS feeds.
Contact the librarians for help with Search Alerts.