Priorities for the Incoming Provost
Prepared by: Bro. Bernard Ploeger
Revised: September 18, 2012
- Be committed to modeling the core values of Marianist Leadership and advancing Chaminade’s identity as a Catholic, Marianist, Native-Hawaiian and Pacific Island Serving University.
- Develop an organizational plan and implement office’s structures to provide the resources needed to respond to cross-divisional academic support concerns:
- accountability and accreditation – program review, assessment
- faculty development – ongoing exploration of issues in teaching and learning; online instruction; use of information technologies to pedagogical advantage
- entrepreneurial efforts that expand the University’s mission – exploration of new academic offerings both credit and non-credit; campus-based, distance learning and with partner institutions
- providing students with rich co-curricular academic experiences – career exploration including advising and mentoring of undergraduates seeking to enter graduate school and other forms of post-baccalaureate education; special undergraduate preparation, research and presentation opportunities; expanding the “academic culture” of campus
3. Work with colleagues to achieve our goals for the character of the Day Undergraduate Program:
- fully prepared and competitive career ready graduates
- rich and coherent educational experience in the Catholic, Marianist tradition
- upper quartile retention and graduation rates when compared to peers
4. With the newly Appointed Dean of Information Technology provide leadership in the realization of our goals, drawing upon the Spring 2012 consultants’ report.
5. With the Faculty Senate review and, as appropriate, renew the structures of academic governance, peer review, promotion of faculty scholarship and seeking grant and contract support.
6. Maintain a flexible, entrepreneurial orientation.
7. Participate in securing the support necessary to achieve our educational goals.
- be involved with the identification of grant opportunities and preparation of proposals, as appropriate
- represent Chaminade to its publics
- encourage and engage the deans, faculty and other members of the division of Academic Affairs in these activities
8. Appropriately complement the President in the leadership of the University.