NUR291: Health Promotion
Papakolea and Nursing
The community leaders of Papakolea conducted a health needs assessment of their Native Hawaiian Homestead residents. Based on the results, project ideas emerged. Their focus is to promote ohana-health and aging-in-place safely - keeping the community together while providing education and access to healthcare.
- Ohana Health Fair: an event for the community, held at Lincoln School, on Saturday, March 2, 2013. Volunteer shift is 8am-4pm (fair is 10am-2pm). Check in with Ms. Adrienne Dillard at the school.
- Community Garden: Near the neighborhood's schools, there is a 60’ x 80’ Community Garden, and it’s growing in the name of food sustainability. Harvests are for the kupuna, but as the garden grows, it will also serve the resource needs of the Community Kitchen and the entrepreneurial ventures of the residents. The health of community is tied to health of the land.
You’ll be scheduled for ONE of these projects during your training sessions.
- For Spring 2013, community garden work days are on the following days from 7am-10am:
You must attend 2 of the community work days.
- Saturday, February 2
- Saturday, March 9
- Saturday, April 6
Check in with Aunty Theone in the garden.
Papakole'a's leadership is offering our students the gift of their mana'o. Cultural competency, an understanding of community, perspective on the contexts for healthcare and public health nursing, and our respective roles are learning objectives of their training sessions. These lessons will be invaluable for students throughout their study of nursing, in future service-learning in their careers. Some of the training curriculum modules include:
- Native Hawaiian health
- Aging in Hawaii
- Cultural competence in health care
- Cultural trauma
- People and cultures of Hawaii
Although the training sessions usually add up to 14 hours, they will be condensed for you.
Pick any time option, but you MUST go to sessions 1 and 2, and watch the video.
- Session 1: Wednesday, Jan. 23 in Henry 109 (12:30pm-2:30pm) OR Friday, Jan. 25 in Ching 254 (2:30pm-4:30pm)
- Papakolea video (Thursday, Jan.24 OR Friday, Jan.25 in class)
- Session 2: Monday, Jan. 28 in Ching 251 (12:30pm-2:30pm) OR Wednesday, Jan. 30 in Henry 109 (12:30pm-2:30pm)
STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE:
Registration for S-L will be done FOR YOU by the S-L Office.
You will be given a connection form to sign and a timesheet/ evaluation AT TRAINING.