Students engaged youth and families in educational games to promote health at Children and Youth Day at the Hawaii State Capitol.
Over the past few years, our NUR290 students have conducted community-based participatory research (CBPR) at a wide variety of sites across the island, working with partners such as our legislators at the Hawaii State Capitol, Palolo Homes, and the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs. Students surveyed the community to determine the health and health care needs of Oahu residents. While the adult respondents were kept busy with the survey, we engaged keiki in educational games. Through "Food Twister" and other activities, they learned about nutrition and healthy food choices.
As an ongoing project for NUR290, students conduct interviews or "talk-story" sessions with elders at our partner facilities. These precious oral histories are then "gifted" to the elders and their families. In some cases, formal presentations have been delivered to staff at our partner organizations, reporting on the highlights of our findings and interview aggregates.
As a student in this section, Waikiki Friendly Neighbors is your community partner.
If your client needs help going to medical appointments, running errands, etc., please use public transportation (ie: bus, handi-van, taxi) to accompany them. You AND your client are not allowed to be passengers in each other's vehicle.
EJ will work with each of you in Section 1 to find a placement. Follow the procedure he discussed in class ASAP, to expedite your placement.
Complete the Lanakila Application form (background check & TB clearance will be obtained through nursing) by 9/12/2014.
Lanakila Application Form
Sign up on Doodle. First –come, first-served. The sign-up will be CLOSED and no changes will be accepted after Friday, 9/19/2014. You need to do 10 hours, so please add your name to 10 time slots.
10 Sites/Times are available for Lanakila Pacific (Sec.2):
Doodle “TOWN” Sign-up Tool for Lanakila Pacific ONLY (Sec.2):
Click on this link to sign up for Moiliili or Punahou. http://doodle.com/2a4dbwy5sgbn25it
1. Moiliili (located at the Moiliili Community Center, 2535 S. King St., Honolulu, HI 96826) Mon-Fri, 9:00-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Gerath Fukuya 955-1555
2. Punahou (Actually called Paoakalani. located at 1583 Kalakaua Ave., Honolulu, HI 96815, near Punahou & Kalakaua) Mon-Fri, 9 -11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Laura Santiago 295-3729.
Doodle “WINDWARD” Sign-up Tool for Lanakila Pacific ONLY (Sec.2):
Click on this link to sign up for Kailua, Waimanalo, Hauula, or Kahaluu. http://doodle.com/fxmwpqevg9kyagnr
3. Kailua (Actually called Lani Huli Apartments. located at 25 Aulike Street., Kailua, HI 96734) Mon-Fri.,9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Dolly Gualdarama 561-0822
4. Waimanalo District Park (located at 41-45 Hihimanu St., Waimanalo, Hi 96795) Tues,9:30-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Connie Ganal 352-0288
5. Hauula Community Center (located at 54-010 Kukuna Rd., Hauula, HI 96717) Mon, Wed, Fri,9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Connie Ganal/ Leona Chang 352-0288
6. Kahaluu Key Proj. (located at 47-200 Waihee Rd., Kaneohe, HI 96744) Tues-Fri.,9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Connie Ganal/ Leona Chang 352-0288
Doodle “WEST SIDE & WAHIAWA” Sign-up Tool for Lanakila Pacific ONLY (Sec.2)
Click on this link to sign up for Pearl City, Waianae, Ewa, or Wahiawa: http://doodle.com/yu4pxet4s77k2kft
7. Pearl City (Actually called Hale Mohalu Senior Apartments. located at 800 3rd St., Pearl City, HI 96782) Mon-Fri, 9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Joyce Davis/Connie Ganal 352-0294/352-0288.
8. Waianae (located at Waianae District Park, 85-601 Farrington Hwy., Waianae, HI 96792) Mon-Fri 9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Donna Semorile 342-2134
9. Ewa (Actually called West Loch Elderly Village located at 91-1472 Renton Rd. Ewa Beach, HI 96706) Mon-Fri.,9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Gloria Allingag 352-0284
10. Wahiawa Rec Ctr. (located at 1139A Kilani Ave., Wahiawa, HI 96786) Mon-Fri.,9-11am (or stay through lunch, ending @noon). Connie Ganal 352-0288