Pālolo Elementary School
In-class & After-school Programs
- These programs are designed to provide students with the extra help they need to succeed in school. Participating students are in kindergarten through grade 5 and have either solicited extra help on their own, or have been asked by the faculty to attend.
- Many of Pālolo El's keiki are challenged by poverty, cultural & linguistic differences, and a lack of preparation for learning in the state educational system.
- The school's kids have excelled at the national Stock Market Game, as well state chess and speech competitions!
- They hope to incorporate more dance and musical instruments into after-school offerings.
- Pālolo El strives to keep meeting the state’s standards in math & reading.
Location: 2106 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816. Check in at the Main Office for all activities.
General Duties: Tutoring in various academic subjects and reading, help with homework. Volunteers may also choose to develop or help run special programs and events.
Tutoring and Instructional Support: ELL/Tutoring/Reading Club, 21st Century Enrichment, In-Class Guidance/Tutoring, Stock Market Game
Note: Please sign in with Mrs. Henrietta Clemons, regardless of which program you're doing.
ELL (English Language Learners), Tutoring, Reading Club
Classroom-based skills-building for grades K-5. Literacy and math skills are primary foci.
- After-school help is needed:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 2:15 pm-3:30 pm
- Wednesdays 1:30-2:30
21st Century Enrichment
Do you have a hobby or talent that you can share? (ie: Dance, Zumba, Soccer, Rugby, Softball, Art Projects) The school welcomes your leadership during the time frame below. Generally, you'd be leading a group of kids in a weekly activity. Contact Chaminade's S-L Office to talk about your idea.
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays: 3:30 pm-4:30 pm
During school/formal instruction, provide coaching for students who need extra help
- Daily: anytime between 8:30 - 2:15 (Wednesdays 'til 1:30)
Stock Market Game
Build relationship with the kids by teaching online research skills, ratios and fractions, and other numerical analyses.
Click here to get started with the Stock Market Game
Availability– Throughout the year.
- HOURS: Opportunities available Monday through Friday, during and after school (7:30 am-4:30 pm) as arranged with supervisor.
After-school tutoring/Reading program is M, Tu, Tr, F 2:15-3:30, and W 1:30-2:30 (Each program above operates during specific time frames.)
- Check calendar for holidays and other scheduling info.
- HOLIDAYS and Schedule Changes:
- January 19 - Martin Luther King Day- no in-school or after-school volunteers
- February 16 - President's Day - no in-school or after-school volunteers
- March 16-20 - Spring Break- no in-school or after-school volunteers
- March 26 - Prince Kuhio Day - no in-school or after-school volunteers
- April 3 - Good Friday - no in-school or after-school volunteers
- May 25 - Memorial Day - no in-school or after-school volunteers
Getting There-- TheBus
- Catch the 9S (Stop ID #3057) in front of McDonald's (mauka side of Waialae Ave.). The bus will take you directly to Palolo El.
- Visit www.thebus.org or download the free app "DaBus" for estimated time arrival.
Training/Contact: Click to view pre-scheduled trainings . Training is MANDATORY for new tutors. Returning students, please contact Mrs. Henrietta Clemons as soon as possible--you may start tutoring without attending training. (Call Palolo Elementary's Office and ask for Mrs. Henrietta Clemons. 733-4700)
If you apply to tutor at Palolo Elementary, a background check may be administered by the school.
Faculty note: Special projects could include planning/executing workshops /educational fairs & projects, helping with outreach to parents, assessment projects