Turn at the Pālolo Homes sign . . . Proceed into Ahe Street. . . Find the green building on your left.
Enter on the right side of the green building. Go up to the 2nd floor to the POLC (below)
Location: In the center of the Pālolo Housing area: 2170 Ahe Street, Honolulu, HI 96816. Click here for directions from Chaminade to Palolo Ohana Learning Center/Palolo Discovery Science Center (a.k.a. Palolo Hale).
General Duties: Volunteers may do one or more of the following: Mentor and tutor children (mostly Pacific Islanders) in computer use and literacy, help with homework, and develop/help to run special programs (ie: dance classes, financial literacy workshops, science projects, etc.).
Please note that you must commit to a MINIMUM OF 12 SERVICE HOURS PER SEMESTER at the POLC.
MENTOR CHILDREN & HELP WITH LITERACY, HOMEWORK, OR COMPUTER SKILLS
- HOURS: Monday-Friday from 2:30-4:30 pm, you must choose one 2-hour shift per week and serve a minimum of 12 hours per semester.
SCIENCE PROGRAM at "The Hale" across the street - Palolo Discovery Science Center
- Help students to learn about renewable energy, aquaponics, gardening, and more, through a "hands-on/hands-dirty" approach, with supervisor Nelson Fernandez
- HOURS: Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30pm (TENTATIVE)
SPECIAL PROJECTS LED BY STUDENTS/FACULTY - CONSULT WITH THE S-L OFFICE
- When: These projects can be one-time activities or a series of activities planned by students/faculty.
Some examples: Game-playing tournaments (educational), mini health fairs, dance classes, music classes, art projects, etc.
- A regularly-occurring "special project" is the Pālolo 'Ohana Program, for parents and their children. Run for 10 weeks, on Thursdays, 5:00-7:30 pm. Contact Candice Sakuda for more information. An application and interview are required before participation is granted.
Availability: Year round
Training/Contact: Orientation is scheduled on an individual basis after all requirements are fulfilled. Please refer to the instructions below for getting started at Palolo Ohana Learning Center.
After registering on Chaminade's service-learning website:
- Download this application and fill it out. Indicate your program of interest (see descriptions above) if you have a preference.
- Attach your completed application to an email that asks Ms. Kauhane Aipia (site supervisor) for permission to serve. [email@example.com]
- Ms. Kauhane will call you to schedule an orientation date.
- Attend the orientation with your Chaminade S-L Connection Form (waiver). At orientation you will also sign up for service shifts for the semester (shifts are 2 hours long, 2:30pm-4:30pm, Monday-Friday). Criminal background clearance required to begin service.
- Turn in your signed, completed Chaminade S-L Connection Form to the S-L office and receive a time sheet.
- Attend the weekly shift to which you were assigned. Complete your minimum of 12 hours.
- Work with your supervisor to complete the time sheet and evaluation form; please turn this in to the S-L office by the due date on the form.
For questions/concerns, contact the Service-Learning office.
Faculty note: Special projects could include planning/executing workshops /educational fairs & projects, assessment/research projects