| Home | SHINE Goals and Course Requirements | Schedule and Training Information | Printable map and directions to Kalanihuia |
- To tutor immigrants of Honolulu communities - to help them learn English and pass their citizenship exams . . . thus maintaining their quality-of-life.
- To promote inter-ethnic agency, community, and university collaboration.
- To raise the consciousness of college students concerning government policies toward immigrants and the “immigrant experience”.
- To promote and facilitate the empowerment of immigrants in Hawai’i.
- Attend all training sessions. See your campus coordinator if you have any time conflicts.
- Complete the program’s paperwork/online materials (pre-service survey, registration, and contract).
- Secure a regular shift appointment & site. Commit to that shift by tutoring for two hours each week, for the duration of the 10-week program.
- Keep journals of training and tutoring sessions - Include summary of events, thoughts/reflections about what happened, and links to course material. Meet with instructor to discuss the S.H.I.N.E. service-learning experience.
- Complete program evaluation.
* Requirements for courses are ultimately defined by their respective instructors.