Qualified individuals must apply to both the Alternative Certification Program at Chaminade University of Honolulu and the State of Hawaii, Department of Education (DOE), as follows:
- Print out and complete the following DOE hiring documents:
- Required documentation to be submitted:
- Cover Letter
- In the top right hand corner of the cover letter, please indicate any other names used on your transcripts or other documents.
- Detail your reason for applying to this program.
- Briefly describe your leadership philosophy.
- Briefly describe how your experience has generated your interest in becoming a school administrator.
- Briefly describe why you believe you will be a highly effective school administrator who will positively impact student achievement.
- Form DOE OHR 600-016, Alternative Certification for School Administrator Program Application
- Form DOE OHR 600-017, Alternative Certification for School Administrator Verification of Employment
- This document should come from the organization in which the applicant had demonstrated his/her leadership for at least three years.
- Writing sample(Please respond to all of the writing prompts in narrative form and comprehensively address what is requested in the prompts. Limit your Writing Sample to no more than seven (7) pages, and use Times New Roman, 12 font with one inch margins.)
- Describe a major organizational initiative which occurred within the past ten years in which you had a leading and/or supervisory role that included the full spectrum of leadership responsibilities, i.e. supervision and evaluation of direct reports, management of budget.
- Briefly describe the degree to which the initiative was successfully implemented and how the initiative contributed to improving the organization.
- What challenges/conflicts did you encounter in the development and/or implementation of the initiative mentioned above, and describe how you addressed those challenges/conflicts?
- What strategies did you use to enlist support for the initiative from your colleagues and direct reports?
- What strategies did you use to monitor the quality of the implementation by your colleagues and direct reports?
- Resume including description of duties and responsibilities of leadership roles held in the last ten years.
- Sealed, unopened official transcripts, submitted in original hard copy form by mail to Chaminade at the address below.
- Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by an original evaluation report completed by an approved NACES member.
- Credential(s) [if applicable]
- Three letters of recommendation
- Letters from the following must attest to the applicant’s leadership abilities and administrative skills:
- Applicant’s Supervisor when the applicant was in a leadership position (The supervisor should speak specifically to the applicant’s leadership ability, decision-making, how he/she contributed to the success of the improvement initiative, and areas of growth.
- Colleague of the applicant during the period the applicant was in the leadership position (The colleague should speak specifically to the applicant’s leadership ability in terms of demonstrating implementation efficacy, ability to work with others, and areas of growth.)
- Applicant’s Choice (NOTE: If the first two letters of recommendation were not provided by the current employer and colleague, then the third letter must come from the current employer.)
- Self-employed applicants will need to submit the following documents:
- Three years of business tax return documents with the financial information redacted.
- A copy of the General Excise Tax license.
- A letter of recommendation from an employee and two clients that they have effectively worked with on a continuous basis. The letters of recommendation should speak specifically to the applicant’s leadership ability in terms of demonstrating implementation efficacy, ability to work with others, and areas of growth.
- Letters must be received by Chaminade University’s Program Director directly from the person making the recommendation.
- Refer to DOE OHR 600-016lns, "Alternative Certification for School Administrator Application Instructions" located in the sidebar on the left side of this page for additional information.
- All of the required documents listed in #2 must be mailed and postmarked on or before January 18, 2013.
No hand-carried application documents will be accepted.
Submit all application documents to:
Chaminade University of Honolulu
3140 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
ATTN: Katherine Kawaguchi
DEADLINE: January 18, 2013 (postmarked)