The Alaka‘ina Foundation Endowed Scholarship is for Native Hawaiian students who demonstrate academic achievement and financial need. Eligible recipients will be majoring in fields outside of STEM (biochemistry, biology, environmental studies, forensic sciences and nursing are not eligible). The award is renewable for a maximum of four years of attendance, provided the student remains in good academic standing and completes continuing eligibility requirements.
The Alaka‘ina Foundation is a nonprofit, Native Hawaiian organization with a mission to build and promote leadership and educational initiatives for the youth of Hawaii. Closely aligned with Chaminade's mission, the goal of the Foundation is to develop a new generation of leaders, especially those among rural areas, to serve in local communities as well as abroad.
- New, first-year and transfer students of Native Hawaiian ancestry are eligible for this endowed scholarship.
- The award is renewable for a maximum of four years of attendance, provided the student remains in good academic standing and completes continuing eligibility requirements.
- Up to four (4) new scholarships are available to qualified applicants each year.
- Awards are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Be a new incoming first-year or transfer student in the day undergraduate program at Chaminade University;
- Be of Native Hawaiian ancestry;
- Be majoring in subjects outside of biochemistry, biology, environmental studies, forensic sciences, and nursing;
- Demonstrate financial need;
- Demonstrate academic achievement:
- A high school graduate with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 and 1000 SAT* or 19 ACT score.
- A transfer student with a cumulative college GPA of at least 2.75.
*Reflects “new” SAT scoring criteria. SAT tests administered after March 2016 must meet the new SAT requirements.
- Completed application form and letter of recommendation must be received by the application deadline indicated below.
- Letter of Recommendation: One letter of recommendation is required. The letter must come from a current instructor, employer, counselor, advisor, or clergy. Letters should address the student’s academic performance and character.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): students may complete the FAFSA at: https://fafsa.ed.gov, or by completing the form available in the Financial Aid Office.
The value of this award is $2,500 per academic year. The award is credited toward the recipient’s tuition charge. Financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Completed applications must be received by July 1. All documents must be submitted to Chaminade University’s Financial Aid Office.
Download Application (PDF)