- Along with Jarrett Middle School students, Palolo 4th- and 5th-graders participate each semseter in the Stock Market Game. CUH students serve as mentors for the kids, getting to know them and encouraging them to set constructive goals. The Game is a means of facilitating this relationship-building and teaching academic concepts in a fun setting.
- For CUH students, please reflect: Through teaching kids about the stock market, what kinds of transferable skills are you building (in them, and in yourself)?
- For CUH students, please reflect: From the perspective of your course, what’s the rationale for teaching kids to do this? (Think about the applications of accounting, corporate law, ethics, decision-making, analysis, and research, etc.)
- For CUH students, please reflect: How can you apply math concepts to the analysis of stocks and decision making?
- Read about awards this project has earned!
Palolo Elementary School - 2106 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816 (Computer room in the library)
Jarrett Middle School - 1903 Palolo Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816 (H-Building, computer classroom.)
Build relationships with the kids. Learn about the stock market together. Teach online research skills, ratios and fractions and other means of numerical analyses, ethics, etc.
Days & Times: Usually after school, once a week, for 10 weeks.
FOR THE FALL 2015 SEMESTER
- Palolo Elementary
Tuesdays, 2:15 - 3:30 pm
Start date: September 15
- Jarrett Middle School
Fridays, 2:10 - 3:15 pm
- Special “pitch” day to engage kids in the project: Friday, September 4, 2:15 – 3:15pm
- Follow-up “pitch” day to engage kids in the project: Wednesday, October 7, 2:40-3:40pm
- After participating in both dates above, kickoff the sessions on Friday, October 16.
NO TUTORING DAYS:
View procedure and training information here.